A scream comes from the kitchen, “It’s on fire! It’s on fire!” so I jump up and run into the kitchen.
I find the microwave on and inside, slowly spinning under the lamp, is the ramen cup, bubbling, melting, and smoking. I pushed stop, got the oven mittens, opened the microwave, blew out the last of the fire, put the melted cup in the sink, and turned on the water.
I asked my sister, “Why didn’t you push stop?”
Crying, she replied, “I don’t know!”
So why did the ramen cup melt and burn? Well, in the US we didn’t have a hot water faucet, or a hot water server like many places do in Japan, and so when we made ramen, we would add cold water to the cup and then microwave it for three minutes, but Angela hadn’t added any water to the cup. She just put it in the microwave, empty, and that caused it to melt and smoke.
In the end, I had to make my sister a cup of ramen and so I missed about five minutes of my cartoons. I can’t remember if my parents woke up and whether we got in trouble or not.